Rules and Information
BELOW are the 2017 RULES
At or before registration, all artists must sign an Artist Waiver and a IRS W9 form in order to show work in the gallery.
- Please display your easel sign while you are painting to help promote the event and give people the connection to Driggs Digs Plein Air and the Gallery.
- Please wear your name badge as well. Your name badge must be visible in order to take advantage of the business discounts listed on the back of the badge.
- For last minute supply needs, the Local Galleria (across from the City Gallery) has paint and other supplies available and will give Driggs Digs Plain Air artists a 10% discount on all purchases.
- Painting boundaries are limited to Teton Valley as artists are encouraged to paint the Driggs/Victor/Tetonia/Alta area.
- All painting sales during the event MUST go through the Driggs City Gallery and Driggs Plein Air! This includes all Gallery sales and sales during Quick Draws and Paint Outs. If someone wishes to buy a wet painting off your easel - great! Give me a call (307-690-2234) and I will run their credit card over the phone.
- Driggs Plein Air will retain 30% of the painting sale price (plus all applicable sales tax). Artist commissions representing 70% of the total sale price will be mailed to the artist within a month of the event closing date.
- A completed and signed Artist Waiver and current W-9 must be on file for an artist to display paintings in the Gallery.
- Each artist will be allowed to display up to three (3) plein air paintings in the gallery at any one time.
- Upon arrival artist’s 3 paintings may include previously completed plein air pieces. All other paintings for display and sale during the week must be stamped paintings completed during this Plein Air event. You are welcome to rotate paintings in and out as you like and as sales occur.
- Eligible paintings for both the Exhibition and Competition must be completed on a FRAMED and READY TO HANG and STAMPED canvas/board/paper of a local scene completed during the week.
- Paintings completed during the workshop are not eligible for the exhibition or competition and therefore will not be stamped.
- Maximum framed size is 24 inches WIDE. This is to allow for all 75 artists to have enough space to hang in our gallery space. Larger works will not be accepted.
- In the traditional definition of ‘Plein Air’, you must complete your work 100% outside from what you see during the week, within the allowable boundaries. No paintings from photographs and no entries produced using manipulated photographic processes, computer enhanced imagery, or other non-plein air means.
- Canvases/boards/paper may be stamped at sign in and at the registration desk in the Driggs City Center during open Gallery hours. Canvases must be free of images prior to stamping. A base coat of paint is allowed.
- We will provide identification tags that you may use to mark your paintings with Title, Artist, and Price.
- 2 Miniatures (6” x 8” maximum image size - maximum framed size is 12x14 inches ) per artist are allowed, space dependent, and first come first serve, and will not count toward your 3 painting gallery allotment. You can swap these out during the week with stamped paintings. Framing is not required but suggested since the paintings will be wet.
- Each artist will be allowed to enter one painting completed during this Plein Air event into the judged competition. Paintings that do not comply to these rules will not be eligible for the competition.
- All final competition paintings must be submitted by NOON on Friday July 28th - NO late entries will be accepted.
- If your competition painting sells during the Awards Gala, it must remain in the Gallery marked ‘sold’ until the conclusion of the Gala to allow guests to view all the competition pieces as a group and facilitate the People’s Choice selection.
- All paintings must be picked up after the Final Reception and/or by noon on Sunday
- Participation in the Quick Draw competitions are not required, but they are great opportunities to promote your artwork and Driggs Plein Air. Traditionally, these have been high traffic events with good on-site sales.
- Wet paintings will be available for sale during the Quick Draw events, and cash prizes will be awarded based on public voting at the event.
- Quick Draw paintings must be started and completed 1.) on-site or within one block of the venue, 2.) within the timeframe of the Quick Draw, and 3.) of the subject matter at and near the venue. 4.) No paintings from photographs or digital devices, and no entries produced using manipulated photographic processes, computer enhanced imagery, or other non-plein air means will be accepted. All paintings must be completed on a stamped canvas and must be framed. Unframed paintings will not be accepted.
- Participation in Paint Outs is optional and your competition piece is not required to be completed at a Paint Out. Paint Outs are opportunities to see some beautiful places and mingle with other artists.
- You will have access to Grand Targhee Ski & Summer Resort with two tickets to use during the week.
If you have any questions, please contact Alison Brush at 307-690-2234