Rules and Information - 2019
- Please display your easel sign while you are painting to help promote the event and give people the connection to Driggs Digs Plein Air and the Gallery, Tent Sales and Treasure Trove.
- Please wear your name badge as well. Your name badge must be visible in order to take advantage of the business discounts listed on the back of the badge.
- For last minute supply needs, the Local Galleria (across from the Driggs City Center) has paint and other supplies available and will give Driggs Digs Plain Air artists a 10% discount on all purchases.
- Artists will be given discounts at local restaurants and retail shops.
- Painting boundaries are limited to Teton Valley as artists are encouraged to paint the Driggs/Victor/Tetonia/Alta area.
- A completed and signed Artist Waiver and current W-9 must be on file for an artist to display and sell paintings during the event.
- All painting sales during the event MUST be processed through Driggs Plein Air! This includes all paintings in the Gallery, Tent, Treasure Trove, Quick Draws and Paint Outs. If someone wishes to buy a wet painting off your easel - great! Give me a call (307-690-2234) and I will run their credit card over the phone.
- It is common to be approached by individuals while you are out painting, and in some cases artists are commissioned to paint for local business owners, landowners and other interested parties. While we can't monitor your sales remotely while you are painting, we ask you to please work on the honor system. Let us process the sale in order to support the continuation of this event. Your host, the Downtown Driggs Association is a small non profit that relies mostly on sales commissions from the event to produce Driggs Plein Air. Commissions on art sales are used to cover expenses in order to keep the event free to the public.
- Driggs Plein Air will retain 30% of the painting sale price (plus all applicable sales tax). Driggs Plein Air wil not pay a commission on the Grand Prize winner. See Competition.
- Artist commissions representing 70% of the total sale price, plus taxes, will be mailed to the artist within a month of the event closing date.
- Artists are not allowed to hang their own paintings or any other artists work, unless expressly asked by staff to do so when artist is working as a volunteer. ONLY STAFF is allowed to hang and display artwork.
All paintings must be FRAMED and ready to hang. Use WIRE to hang. Our hanging system only works with wire.
At Check in - You can bring 3 size appropriate PLEIN AIR paintings for the Gallery - Maximum painting size for the Gallery is 20x20 IMAGE size, and 24x24 FRAMED size.
At Check in - You can bring 3 Miniature PLEIN AIR paintings for the 20x40 Tent/Treasure Trove (see below) - Maximum MINIATURE IMAGE size is 6” x 8”. Maximum Miniature FRAMED size is 12x14 inches.
Only STAMPED paintings completed during the week can be swapped out or added to the Gallery or Tent/Treasure trove.
Only STAMPED work completed during the week can be hanging for the final competition. You can have up to 3 paintings in the Competition.
- Oil, acrylic, pastel and watercolor are accepted media.
- GALLERY ALLOTMENT - Each artist is allowed to display up to three (3) plein air paintings in the GALLERY at any one time. At check in, you can bring up to 3 PLEIN AIR paintings completed prior to the event, and outside Teton County. ONLY stamped paintings completed during the event can be swapped out in the GALLERY as the week continues and as sales occur.
- MINIATURES - at CHECK IN, for the TENT sales, each artist can bring up to 3 Miniatures (PLEIN AIR) completed prior to the event. All miniatures must be FRAMED and wired READY TO HANG. You can swap these out during the week with non miniature or miniature stamped paintings (according to size limits below) completed during the week.
- Maximum MINIATURE IMAGE size is 6” x 8”. Maximum Miniature FRAMED size is 12x14 inches.
- Maximum painting size for the Gallery is 20x20 IMAGE size, and 24x24 FRAMED size.
- Maximum STAMPED, completed during the week, painting size for the Tent and Treasure Trove - is 20x20 IMAGE size, and 24x24 FRAMED size.
- Eligible paintings must be submitted on a FRAMED and wired READY TO HANG canvas/board/paper.
- Please call if you have questions about deep wrap canvas or cradle board.
- Any paper like watercolor paper or pastel paper and any non canvas surface must be STAMPED on the back. Upon submission for hanging, the back of the paper must be visible BEFORE the frame backing is put on.
- All paintings submitted after check in for GALLERY Sales, TENT Sales and TREASURE TROVE Sales must be STAMPED paintings completed during Driggs Digs Plein Air 2019.
- Paintings completed during the workshops are NOT eligible for the Competition.
- In the traditional definition of ‘Plein Air’, you must complete your work 100% outside from what you see during the week, within the allowable boundaries. No paintings from photographs and no entries produced using manipulated photographic processes, computer enhanced imagery, or other non-plein air means.
- Canvases/boards/paper may be stamped at sign in and at the registration desk in the Driggs City Center during open Gallery hours. Canvases must be free of images prior to stamping. A base coat of paint (any color) is allowed.
- We will provide identification tags that you may use to mark your paintings with Title, Artist, and Price.
- Paintings that do not comply to these rules will not be eligible for the event or the competition.
- Each artist will be allowed to enter up to 3 paintings - STAMPED, FRAMED and wired and READY TO HANG - into the judged competition. Only stamped paintings completed during the week will be allowed to hang in the gallery during the competition judging.
- Size requirements are as stated above.
- All final competition paintings must be submitted by 5pm Thursday, August 1 - NO late entries will be accepted.
- All paintings must remain in the Gallery until the conclusion of the Final Reception to allow guests to view all the competition pieces as a group and facilitate the People’s and Artist's Choice selections.
- The Gallery will be closed to artists during Judging on Friday morning from 9am -10:30 am.
- Competition paintings will be available for sale all day Friday, in order to give the public the opportunity to purchase paintings before the Awards Ceremony. Buyers will be asked to leave the paintings in the gallery through the end of the Awards and Reception.
If the BEST OF SHOW painting is purchased prior to the Awards Ceremony, and the price of the painting is less than the award amount of $1,200, the Downtown Driggs Association will pay the artist the difference between the purchase price paid by the buyer and $1,200 to reach the award amount of $1,200. If the purchase price exceeds $1,200, the Downtown Driggs Association shall pay the artist the full purchase price amount.
If the BEST OF SHOW painting is NOT purchased prior to the Awards Ceremony, the Downtown Driggs Association will purchase from the artist the BEST OF SHOW painting at exactly $1,200, regardless of the listed price. The Downtown Driggs Association reserves the right to offer the painting for sale in a Silent Auction immediately following the Award announcements during the Reception. The minimum bid will be $1,200. Any proceeds above the award amount of $1,200 will benefit the Downtown Driggs Association - host of the Driggs Digs Plein Air Festival. The Silent Auction will stay open through Saturday at 2:00 pm. The painting will be sold to the highest bidder, if their bid meets or exceeds the minimum, on Saturday at 3:00 pm.
- All paintings must be picked up by noon on Sunday.
- We will have a 20x40 TENT on the Driggs City Plaza Monday afternoon through Thursday afternoon. All artwork will have to be moved indoors each night and brought out in the mornings. Artists are asked to volunteer to help with this process.
- As mentioned above, each artist can display up to 3 paintings in the TENT. At check in miniatures are allowed in the Tent. These can be swapped out with Paint Out, Quick Draw and other stamped paintings during the week. All art will be moved indoors to become the TREASURE TROVE from Thursday night through Saturday night.
- The size requirements (above) for the GALLERY and miniatures apply to the TENT and TREASURE TROVE.
- Participation in the Quick Draw competitions are not required, but they are great opportunities to promote your artwork and Driggs Digs Plein Air. Traditionally, these have been high traffic events with good on-site sales.
- Wet paintings will be available for sale immediately following the Quick Draw at the TENT, and cash prizes will be awarded.
- Stamping for Tuesdays Quick Draw takes place at 7:00 am the Gallery .
- Tuesday morning's Quick Draw in downtown Driggs will be awarded based on People's Choice voting at midday. Artists will be given a different color paper for their votes. Each person is given one vote only. Artists are asked NOT to talk to the public to promote their painting. Voting will be carefully monitored to ensure fairness.
- Tuesday's downtown Driggs Quick Draw paintings must be started and completed on-site or within three blocks of the traffic light in Driggs.
- Stamping for Wednesday's Quick Draw takes place at 7:00 am on private properties. Two easement properties have been selected for the Wednesday's Quick Draw. Locations and maps will be given on Tuesday evening. Artists are asked NOT to go to the private properties prior to the Quick Draw on Wednesday morning.
- Workshop Instructor, John Poon, will judge the Wednesday Quick Draw paintings midday in downtown Driggs.
- Both Quick Draws require that paintings be completed within the timeframe of the Quick Draw (see schedule)
- No Quick Draw paintings are allowed from photographs or digital devices, and no entries produced using manipulated photographic processes, computer enhanced imagery, or other non-plein air means will be accepted.
- All paintings must be completed on a stamped canvas and must be framed. Unframed paintings will not be accepted.
- Quick Draw Paintings can be sold in the TENT through the end of the day of the Quick Draw. If you choose NOT to submit your Quick Draw painting as one of your 3 allotted paintings in the TENT, the painting must be picked up by 6pm that day.
- Participation in Paint Outs is optional and your competition piece is not required to be completed at a Paint Out. Paint Outs are opportunities to see some beautiful places and mingle with other artists. Framed Paint Out paintings can be sold in Tent Sales and Treasure Trove as part of your additional 3 painting allotment.
- You will have access to Grand Targhee Ski & Summer Resort with one ticket to use during the week.
If you have any questions, please contact Alison Brush at 307-690-2234